Students currently or formerly enrolled in other UT-Austin degree programs who wish to enroll in architecture or interior design must submit an online Internal Transfer Application.
(The application will remain open until 11:59 pm on March 1, 2015, the application deadline.)
Internal Transfer Application
The deadline to apply is March 1, 2015.
The School of Architecture is one of the smallest academic units at the University of Texas at Austin. We make it a priority to maintain effective faculty/student ratios in all of our studio and classroom settings in order to achieve the best possible educational environment. Thus, admission is offered to only a select number of qualified applicants each year.
In order to be eligible to apply, students must meet the following requirements:
- Completion of at least 24 credit hours in-residence at UT Austin by the end of a spring semester
- Minimum 3.25 UT Austin GPA
- Submission of online UTSOA Internal Transfer application by the March 1st deadline
- Two (2) recommendation letters from UT faculty
- You must meet the criteria to transfer from one division to another within the University
Meeting these requirements does not guarantee admission into the School of Architecture.
Emphasis is given to strong performance in university courses, especially those relevant to the degree program to which the applicant is applying.
Internal transfer applicants may apply to enter the first or second year in either the architecture or interior design program. When you apply you will select one of the options below.
- First Year: If admitted to internally transfer, students who apply to enter the first year of the program will enroll in ARC 310K: Design I and ARC 311K: Visual Communication I during the upcoming fall semester. There are no specific course prerequisites for this option. Applicants should register for the fall semester as if they are not going to be admitted. If admitted, academic advisors in the School of Architecture will assist students with registration for the required studio courses during the June and July add/drop periods.
- Second Year: If admitted to internally transfer, students who apply to enter the second year of the program must enroll in ARC 310K: Design I and ARC 311K: Visual Communication I during the first summer session, and ARC 310L: Design II and ARC 311L: Visual Communication II during the second summer session. Please note that applicants to the architecture major are required to have credit for PHY 302K/102M (or PHY 303K/103M) and M 408C (or M 408K) prior to enrolling in these summer studio courses. To be included within this applicant pool, students must register for the required studio coursework during the April registration period.
More information can be found at the Internal Transfer FAQ.