The Student Historic Preservation Association (SHPA) is an educational, departmental organization dedicated to the advancement of the preservation field and related areas of study through activities that include volunteering, advocacy, community outreach, extracurricular scholarship, and interdisciplinary collaboration.
SHPA membership is open to all students at the University of Texas at Austin. We have a collective goal to contribute to the School of Architecture and UT as a whole, creating partnerships of opportunity, understanding, and advancement across disciplines.
Contact us for more information on membership and upcoming events.
- Kathleen Conti, President
- Kelsey Riddle, Events Coordinator
- Lyndy Secrist, Communications Officer
- Hannah Simonson, Prospective & New Student Liaison
- SHPA is teaming up with Preservation Austin for an ongoing series - Jugging and Jawing: Historic Austin Happy Hours - to gather students, local professionals, and lovers of architecture and cultural heritage at historic venues throughout Austin.
- SHPA members volunteered as docents during MidTexMod's annual Tour Day in San Antonio - part of a national event organized by DoCoMoMo to raise awareness and appreciation for 20th century architecture and design.
- On September 21, 2016 SHPA hosted a luncheon to talk about online presence, applying for (and landing) internships and jobs, and UTSOA resources with Career Services.
- At the end of the Spring 2016 semester, SHPA hosted its annual Meet & Greet at the Boggy Creek Farm. The event was an opportunity to meet local preservation professionals and to ignore the stress of finals at Boggy Creek's 1830s farmhouse and beautiful gardens.
- SHPA welcomed prospective students for the Class of 2018 when they visited campus for the UT Open House in the Spring.
- On April 16, 2016, members of SHPA and the APT Texas Student + Emerging Professionals toured the Burton Cotton Gin.
- On April 12, 2016, SHPA, the Architectural Conservation Lab, and UTSOA Career Services hosted David Fixler, FAIA, LEED AP BD+C, for a historic preservation lecture: "Innovation Becomes Tradition: Institutional Heritage and the renewal of Modern architecture."
To be added to the SHPA Events Google Calendar, please email Hannah.