Dear School of Architecture Community,
By now you have seen several messages from different parts of the university and you are also likely aware an individual with a UT association has tested positive for COVID-19, and a second individual who is an employee is a possible case.
The following are key takeaways you must know now:
- The university has extended spring break for students until Monday, March 30, 2020. Classes will resume on March 30, 2020.
- We expect the format to be on-line and not in person, although we will have more information to share about that moving forward. Students will be informed no later than March 27 as to how their individual courses will be modified and what methods will be used to deliver course material.
- As of now, the semester will not be extended.
- The campus was closed today, but this does not mean that it will be closed next week. We are closing the Build Lab, as is typically done for spring break, and we are also closing the Tech Lab and Materials Lab for the next week. I will notify all as to when and which spaces and functions will be open or closed.
- Today, the campus and UTSOA operated with essential personnel only. We do not know yet if we will resume regular operations on Monday. I will notify all as to what our operating conditions are as soon as we have a clearer determination.
- All domestic and international travel that is university sponsored has been cancelled until at least April 30, 2020. The domestic cancellation is primarily for air travel; we are still waiting for clarification about whether that will include road travel as well.
- All travelers - including those travelling personally - returning from a Level 3 country must self isolate for fourteen days. This includes all travelers returning from European countries.
- The School of Architecture is cancelling all in-person events until April 30, 2020, after which we will re-evaluate. This cancellation includes open house, symposia, lecture series, CAAD and City Forums, as well as all faculty meeting and student group meetings. Some of these will still be produced on-line and we will provide information about timing and access
- No visitors should be invited to the school until April 30, 2020, after which we will re-evaluate
The situation is changing rapidly. Information that affects the entire campus community can always be found at: https://www.utexas.edu/coronavirus
Information that is either specific to our UTSOA community, or that I believe merits being foregrounded, will be sent through further e-mail updates from me and will also be archived on the landing page of the school’s web site: https://soa.utexas.edu/headlines/covid-19-campus-updates
Again my e-mails to you regarding information on the School’s response to the Coronavirus will always have the following title format in the subject line: COVID-19 Update time, Date School of Architecture
Take care, be safe, and please find some time to relax during Spring Break,