Sustainable Transportation in the International Context — China Planning Workshop
The funds were used for two purposes. One was to support UT students participating in a study abroad program in China, which was part of the graduate course CRP385 Planning Studio: Transportation Practicum. Six UT students participated in the program. The other was to support faculty travel leading the study abroad program and attending conferences on related subjects.
China Planning Workshop
The program took place in summer, 2015. Main activities include the following:
- Visit Hong Kong Planning and Infrastructure Exhibition Gallery to learn city development history and its past and future plans; Visit MTR showcases for Transit Oriented Development. Exchanged with Hong Kong Baptist University faculty and students on topics of bike sharing programs in China and use of big-data for transportation planning.
- Completed the International Summer School of Wuhan University with participants from six Chinese universities and one from the Netherlands. Visit Wuhan Planning Exhibition and Civic Center; Perform case study of Wuhan rail transit Line 1 and Line 2 as part of local Metro City Initiative; Exchange with Wuhan Municipal Planning Office and planning program at Wuhan University .
Conference Presentations & Publications
- Zhang, W. and Zhang, M. 2015. The Short- and Long-Term Effects of Land Use on Reducing Personal Vehicle Miles of Travel: Longitudinal Multilevel Analysis. Forthcoming; accepted for publication in Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academies.
- Huang, J., Wang, C., and Zhang, M. (corresponding author), 2015. Correlating household carbon emissions, travel behavior, and land use, case study of Wuhan, China. Presented at the International Association for China Planning annual conference, Chongqing, China, June 19-21, 2015. Manuscript under review for publication consideration in Transportation Research D.
- Xu, T. and Zhang, M. (corresponding author), 2015. The housing price premium of rail transit access: New evidence from Wuhan, China. Presented at the International Association for China Planning annual conference, Chongqing, China, June 19-21, 2015. Manuscript under review for publication consideration in Transport Policy
- Zhang, M. and Zhang, W., 2015, Self-Selection versus Contextual Effects: The Land Use –Travel Connection Revisited, presented at the 14th International Conference on Computers in Urban Planning and Urban Management, Cambridge, MA, USA, July 7-9, 2015
Other Activities Supported by the Grant
Hosted visiting scholar Dr. Xiaofeng Li, from Huazhong University of Science & Technology, Wuhan, China. Dr. Li helped complete the draft materials for China Planning Workshop 2005-14, with which a proposal has been submitted to SOA Event and Exhibition Committee for exhibition consideration in the Mebane Gallery.
Hosted the delegation from Huazhong University of Science & Technology (HUST), Wuhan, China. The delegation of six faculty members was led by Professor Yaping Huang, the Dean of the School of Architecture and Urban Planning, HUST. Dean Steiner hosted lunch meeting with the visitors.