Historic Preservation graduate students in the Fall 2014 Graphic Documentation class measured, recorded and created documentation for the historic 1911 Lometa Train Depot in Lometa, Texas. Final measured drawings were presented in AutoCad using formatting guidelines from the Historic American Building Survey (HABS).
The town of Lometa is located in northwest Lampasas County and was founded in 1885 when the Gulf Coast and Santa Fe railway line expanded tracks through the area. The town came to supplant the nearby stagecoach stop of Senterfitt shortly after and quickly outgrew the original depot. In 1910, the Sante Fe Railway extended the San Saba to Eden branch line connecting this artery to the extant line in Lometa, and issuing forth a boon in the local economy. The existing train depot was created a year later to respond to the increased demand and complaints about comfort and cooling. This stop became one of the largest Texas country depots on the line and an important point for shipments of cattle, wool and mohair as far as north as Boston. On September 7, 1982, the railroad company officially decomissioned the Lometa Depot. Circa 1985, the depot was relocated from its original foundation between the railroad tracks at the east side of town and relocated a few blocks to the northwest to its present location. At the time, effort was made not only to save the structure, but also to stabilize it.
The Lometa Train Depot was documented by means of architectural field survey, field notes, measurements, sketches, photography and archival research. Final architectural measured drawings (site plans, floor plans, exterior and interior elevations, sections and details) were produced by the class using AutoCad and photographs were used to create a 3D video model with Photomodeler. This documentation process allowed for an in-depth study of the construction.