Rapid economic growth and urbanization in China offer enormous field opportunities for students in planning, design, and related disciplines to learn from experiencing, participating, and engaging. This exhibition presents twelve years of student work and activities from the China Planning Workshop/China Studio, led by the Graduate Program in Community & Regional Planning in the School of Architecture at The University of Texas at Austin. Each year, the Workshop/Studio selects a project with pressing local concern and broad professional interest. Participants from UT Austin collaborate with faculty, students, and planners from China, and deliver topical research reports and plan or design proposals to local clients. From 2005 to 2016, 114 UT Austin students in planning, architecture, urban design, landscape architecture, civil engineering, geography, and public policy participated in twelve workshops/studios.
The value of a joint workshop/studio goes beyond professional training. Participants learn from experiencing cultural and historical differences, and from sharing common global concerns over climate change, social equity, and environmental protection.
Noon-2pm, Friday, February 24, 2017
Mebane Gallery, Goldsmith Building (School of Architecture)
The University of Texas at Austin
- Guests and Visitors Check-in: Self-guided tour of the exhibition/ Reception opens
- Opening: Guests/speakers introduction; Alumni/past participant self-introduction
- Welcome Remarks: Professor Michael Oden, Associate Dean/CRP Program Director, School of Architecture, UT Austin
- Remarks by Guests:
- Professor Fritz Steiner, Dean, School of Design, University of Pennsylvania
- Professors Jingnan Huang and Youxian Shen, Associate Deans, School of Urban Design, Wuhan University, Wuhan, China
- Professor Jian Liu, Associate Dean, School of Architecture, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China/Fulbright Scholar at Harvard University (2016-17)
- Gallery Talk-1: “Overview of China Planning Workshop/China Studio 2005-16”: Professor Ming Zhang
- Gallery Talk-2: City Forum/Fulbright Lecture: "Beijing: An Integrity of Historic City and Modern Metropolis": Professor Jian Liu