- What is it like to major in Architecture or Interior Design?
- I was accepted into another college/school at UT Austin, but I want to enroll in the School of Architecture. What do I need to do?
- If I am accepted, when and how will I be notified?
- How many students are accepted and who is accepted?
- Can I start taking classes in my desired major?
- When are the courses required for the architecture and interior design degrees offered?
- What are the requirements to be considered as a summer start design student?
- Are there other opportunities I can take part in to prepare?
- How long will I be in school to get my degree?
What is it like to major in architecture or interior design?
Check out the following for thorough descriptions.
- Archiculture: a documentary film that explores the architectural studio
- Do You Want to Be an Architect?
- Cut and Paste Primer on Architecture School Part I
- Cut and Paste Primer on Architecture School Part II
- Do You Want to Be An Architect, the College Years
I was accepted into another College/School at UT Austin, but I want to enroll in the School of Architecture. What do I need to do?
Undergraduates currently enrolled in another college or school at The University of Texas at Austin who wish to pursue a major offered by the School of Architecture must submit an internal transfer application. In order to be eligible to apply, students must meet the following requirements:
- Attend ONE Internal Transfer Information Session during the fall semester
- Completion of at least 24 credit hours in-residence at UT Austin by the end of a spring semester
- Minimum 3.25 UT Austin GPA
- Submission of online UTSOA Internal Transfer application by the March 1st deadline
- Two (2) recommendation letters from UT faculty
- You must meet the criteria to transfer from one division to another within the University
If I am accepted, when and how will I be notified?
How many students are accepted and who is accepted?
The number of internal transfer students admitted is limited and varies from year to year depending upon available space. Emphasis is given to strong performance in university courses, especially classes relevant to the degree program to which the applicant is applying, and to the applicant's written essays.
Can I start taking classes in my desired major?
Yes, UT Austin students who are applying for internal transfer can take certain architecture and interior design courses.
Prospective Architecture majors:
- ARC 308 - Architecture and Society
- ARC 318K - History of Architecture, Survey I (Offered only in spring semesters. No prerequisites are enforced for non-majors.)
- ARC 318L - History of Architecture, Survey II (Offered only in fall semesters. No prerequisites are enforced for non-majors.)
Prospective Interior Design majors:
- ARI 318K, Interiors and Society * (Offered only in fall semesters.)
- ARI 318M, Interior Design History I * (Offered only in spring semesters. No prerequisites are enforced for non-majors.)
- PSY 301, Introduction to Psychology
- ARC 318L, History of Architecture, Survey II (Offered only in fall semesters. No prerequisites are enforced for non-majors.)
- ARH, any art history course
* Requires instructor permission. After permission is received, please contact the Undergraduate Dean's office to be added.
The remainder of your schedule should be filled with courses that fulfill university core requirements.
When are the courses required for the architecture degrees offered?
Most of the architecture courses required for the undergraduate architecture and interior design degrees are offered fall and spring semesters only. Most are offered during the day on weekdays.
When courses are offered: Architecture
When courses are offered: Interior Design
What are the requirements to be considered as a summer start design student?
Students who intend to begin in the summer must:
Indicate on the application that they intend to begin the design sequence in the summer and enter the second year of the program the following fall semester
Register for ARC 310K - Design I, ARC 311K - Visual Communication I, ARC 310L - Design II, and ARC 311L - Visual Communication II during the first summer registration access period in the spring
Meet the prerequisites (applies only to prospective architecture majors): Credit for M 408C (or at least M 408K) and PHY 302K/102M (or PHY 303K/103M) is required before enrolling in the summer studio coursework.
Are there other opportunities I can take part in to prepare?
Yes. Attend The School of Architecture Lunch Forums on Fridays at noon in Battle Hall; attend the School of Architecture Lecture Series. Visit the events calendar for information on these events. You may also get involved in the student organization that interests you.
How long will I be in school to get my degree?
It depends on the degree program you have decided to pursue and whether you begin the design sequence in the summer or fall. You may look at the required courses for architecture and interior design, and you may run an interactive degree audit on the architecture or interior design major.