The Student Historic Preservation Association (SHPA) is an educational, departmental organization dedicated to the advancement of the preservation field and related areas of study through activities that include volunteering, advocacy, community outreach, extracurricular scholarship, and interdisciplinary collaboration.
SHPA membership is open to all students at the University of Texas at Austin. We have a collective goal to contribute to the School of Architecture and UT as a whole, creating partnerships of opportunity, understanding, and advancement across disciplines.
Contact us at SHPA.UT@gmail.com for more information on membership and upcoming events.
- Sydney Andrea Landers, President & Social Media Director
- Ali Wysopal, Vice President & Professional Organizations Liason
- Diana Hernandez, New Student Liaison
- Eliza Blackman, Event Coordinator
- Laura Christman, Treasurer
- October 2020: SHPA initiated the "Texas MSHP Alumni Association" as a subset of the organization to better connect alumni and students through events and a mentorship program.
- April 2020: SHPA hosted an Open House happy hour for accepted students via Zoom.
- February 2020: SHPA arranged a guided tour of the Historic Flower Hill property in Austin to see how the site is addressing preservation challenges and visitor engagement.
- January 2020: SHPA held the Annual Officer Elections meeting at Scholz Garten, one of the oldest bars in Texas, built in 1866.
- April 2019: SHPA and APT Texas cosponsored the Annual Preservation Mixer on Thursday, April 18th, 2019 at Littlefield House for students, alumni, and faculty alike in the Austin area.
- March 2019: SHPA and Preservation Austin hosted a bike ride ('Pedal for Preservation') to historic Austin properties, ending with a happy hour.
- December 2018: SHPA and Inherit Austin hosted a Networking Mixer at Lala's for students and preservation professionals in the area.
- April 2018: SHPA hosted the Annual Preservation Mixer at the Historic Briones House in downtown Austin.
- On April 6, 2017, SHPA sponsored its annual Preservation Mixer in partnership with APT. Students gathered with local preservation professionals and advocates to enjoy a social evening in a stunningly restored Congress Avenue home.
- On March 31, 2017 SHPA hosted a luncheon with Career Services to help students learn how to discover and apply for their ideal careers and internships.
- SHPA members volunteered as docents during MidTexMod's annual Tour Day in San Antonio - part of a national event organized by DoCoMoMo to raise awareness and appreciation for 20th century architecture and design.
- SHPA is teaming up with Preservation Austin for an ongoing series - Jugging and Jawing: Historic Austin Happy Hours - to gather students, local professionals, and lovers of architecture and cultural heritage at historic venues throughout Austin.
- On April 12, 2016, SHPA, the Architectural Conservation Lab, and UTSOA Career Services hosted David Fixler, FAIA, LEED AP BD+C, for a historic preservation lecture: "Innovation Becomes Tradition: Institutional Heritage and the renewal of Modern architecture."