The Student Historic Preservation Association (SHPA) is an educational, departmental organization dedicated to the advancement of the preservation field and related areas of study through activities that include volunteering, advocacy, community outreach, extracurricular scholarship, and interdisciplinary collaboration.
SHPA membership is open to all students at the University of Texas at Austin. We have a collective goal to contribute to the School of Architecture and UT as a whole, creating partnerships of opportunity, understanding, and advancement across disciplines.
Contact us at SHPA.UT@gmail.com for more information on membership and upcoming events.
- Sydney Andrea Landers, President & Social Media Director
- Ali Wysopal, Vice President & Professional Organizations Liason
- Diana Hernandez, New Student Liaison
- Eliza Blackman, Event Coordinator
- Laura Christman, Treasurer
- On April 6, 2017, SHPA sponsored its annual Preservation Mixer in partnership with APT. Students gathered with local preservation professionals and advocates to enjoy a social evening in a stunningly restored Congress Avenue home.
- On March 31, 2017 SHPA hosted a luncheon with Career Services to help students learn how to discover and apply for their ideal careers and internships.
- SHPA members volunteered as docents during MidTexMod's annual Tour Day in San Antonio - part of a national event organized by DoCoMoMo to raise awareness and appreciation for 20th century architecture and design.
- SHPA is teaming up with Preservation Austin for an ongoing series - Jugging and Jawing: Historic Austin Happy Hours - to gather students, local professionals, and lovers of architecture and cultural heritage at historic venues throughout Austin.
- On April 12, 2016, SHPA, the Architectural Conservation Lab, and UTSOA Career Services hosted David Fixler, FAIA, LEED AP BD+C, for a historic preservation lecture: "Innovation Becomes Tradition: Institutional Heritage and the renewal of Modern architecture."