Students currently or formerly enrolled in other UT Austin degree programs who wish to enroll in architecture or interior design must submit an online Internal Transfer Application by March 1st.
Please review our Internal Transfer FAQ and join us at an information session in Fall 2020 to learn about the process for current University of Texas at Austin students to apply for internal transfer to the School of Architecture. All internal transfer applicants are required to attend one information session prior to applying or meeting with a School of Architecture advisor.
Please select the date you plan to attend and register for the session. You may register for the session up until it begins. All students should use their UTexas Zoom account for the sessions.
- Tuesday, January 26th from 2:00-3:00pm
- Friday, January 29th from 11:00am-12:00pm
- Thursday, February 4th from 3:30-4:30pm
- Tuesday, February 9th from 1:00-2:00pm
- Friday, February 12th from 2:00-3:00pm
Internal Transfer Application
The School of Architecture is one of the smallest academic units at the University of Texas at Austin. We make it a priority to maintain effective faculty/student ratios in all of our studio and classroom settings in order to achieve the best possible educational environment. Thus, admission is offered to only a select number of qualified applicants each year.
In order to be eligible to apply, students must meet the following requirements:
- Attend one Internal Transfer Info Session
- Completion of at least 24 credit hours in-residence at UT Austin by the end of a spring semester
- Minimum 3.25 UT Austin GPA
- Meet the criteria to transfer from one division to another within the University
- Submission of online UTSOA Internal Transfer application by the March 1st deadline
- Two (2) short answers; prompts included in the online application
- Photograph submission; instructions included in the online application
- Two (2) recommendation letters from UT faculty*
Note: Recommendation letters from TAs will be accepted for the 2021 admission cycle.
- * Letters of Recommendation may be sent or delivered to
Undergraduate Advising Office
School of Architecture, Campus Mail Code B7500
Goldsmith Hall, Room 2.308
Meeting the above requirements does not guarantee admission into the School of Architecture.
Emphasis is given to strong performance in university courses.
Options for start semester
Internal transfer applicants may apply to enter the first or second year in either the architecture or interior design program. When you apply you will select one of the options below.
- First Year: If admitted to internally transfer, students who apply to enter the first year of the program will enroll in ARC 310K Design I and ARC 311K Visual Communication I during the upcoming fall semester. There are no specific course prerequisites for this option. Applicants should register for the fall semester as if they are not going to be admitted. If admitted, academic advisors in the School of Architecture will assist students with registration for the required studio courses during the June and July add/drop periods.
- Second Year: If admitted to internally transfer, students who apply to enter the second year of the program must enroll in ARC 310K Design I and ARC 311K Visual Communication I during the first summer session, and ARC 310L Design II and ARC 311L Visual Communication II during the second summer session. Applicants for the architecture major are required to have credit for PHY 302K/102M (or PHY 303K/103M) and M 408C (or M 408K) prior to enrolling in these summer studio courses.
More information can be found at the Internal Transfer FAQ.