"On the Duty and Power of Architectural Criticism" is an online conference organized by Professor Wilfried Wang taking place October 9-10 and October 16-17, 2021.
Should architectural criticism be enlightening? Should it help in the creation of a better built environment? Is there a factual basis to it? Does it have a duty to present evidence in the evaluation of a building? Or should it take on what architects say about their designs?
In the context of a flat internet, should architectural criticism be able to define best practices? Does it wield the power over who is in and who is out?
Architectural criticism, like all human endeavors, is at a crucial juncture. While serious architecture struggles for recognition, much so-called architectural criticism is merely a poorly paid, decorative legitimation for hyperbolic practice. Incisive architectural criticism is rare, while the definition of criticism itself has become opaque.
This conference seeks papers that define the purposes and methods of architectural criticism. What should the ethical basis be of architectural criticism? Can it be objective in the context of paid content? Should it outline ideal practices? Or what should it do?
All sessions will take place from 8:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Central time via Zoom
Join Zoom Meeting: https://utexas.zoom.us/j/99569235856
Meeting ID: 995 6923 5856
Kenneth Frampton, New York City, USA
Philippa Tumubweinee, Cape Town, South Africa
Ruth Verde Zein, São Paulo, Brazil
Zheng Shiling, Shanghai, China
The online format of the two-day conference will allow active debate between the audience and lecturers. Presentations will be concentrated to allow for ample discussion time. Besides the four keynotes, there will be a maximum of 16 short papers. The entire conference will be recorded and placed on Youtube. The conference language will be English. Registration for free audience places (max. 300) will open July 2 via firstname.lastname@example.org
- Elias Constantopoulos, University of Patras
- Manuel Cuadra, Director of CICA, Frankfurt am Main/Lima
- Fernando Diez, Summa+, U. de Palermo, Buenos Aires
- Hélène Jannière, Université Rennes 2
- Li Xiangning, Tongji University, Shanghai
- Robert McCarter, Washington University, St. Louis
- Valerio Paolo Mosco, IUAV
- Louise Noelle Gras, UNAM, Mexico CdMx
- Şengül Öymen Gür, Beykent Üniversitesi, Istanbul
- Xing Ruan, Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Paolo Scrivano, Politecnico di Milano
- Ana Tostões, Instituto Técnico Lisbon
- Ruth Verde Zein, U. Presbiteriana Mackenzie, São Paulo
- CICA International Committee of Architectural Critics
- Beykent Üniversitesi, Istanbul
- Hellenic Institute of Architecture, Athens
- Instituto Superior Técnico, Lisboa
- Istituto Universitario Architettura Venezia
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Tongji University, Shanghai
- Universidade Presbiteriana Mackenzie, São Paulo
- IIEs, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
- University of Patras
- The University of Texas at Austin
- Washington University in St. Louis
Poster design by Leila Zein Telles