Junfeng Jiao is an assistant professor in the Community and Regional Planning program and founding director of Urban Information Lab at UTSOA. He received his PhD in Urban Design and Planning from the University of Washington.
He is a big fan of urban informatics, smart city and shared mobility/economy. He has used different information technologies (GIS, GPS, Drone, smart phone, social media, wearable devices, etc.) to quantify urban environments and understand its impact on people’s behavior (e.g. travel, physical, eating etc) and its health consequence. He has investigated 311 calls' spatial distribution, Uber's price surge, Airbnb's spatial clustering, E-scooters' origins, destinations, and routings, and bike sharing system planning. He also explored how urban environments affect people's access to grocery stores, transit facilities, and bicycle infrastructures, and how people describe urban environments in cyber space through Twitter. He firstly coined the term of Transit Desert and developed various measurement methods. His works were widely reported by the Associated Press, CNN, US News, Yahoo, MSN, NBC, NPR, USA today, Finance and Commerce, City Lab, The Conversation, Chicago Tribute, San Francisco Chronicle, LA Times, Seattle Times, Seattle Met, Dallas News, Houston Chronicle, Austin Statesman, Texas Tribune, Wired etc.
He has worked on projects funded by the NIH, USDOT, UT Austin, Intel, WSDOT, RWJF, and others. These works have been published in journals like Journal of the American Planning Association, Journal of Urban Planning and Development, Journal of Urban Design, Journal of Urban Technology, Land Use Policy, American Journal of Public Health, Journal of Transport and Land Use, and Journal of Public Transportation etc. He is the co-chair for The Analytical Methods, Technology, & Society track at the ACSP conference and on the editorial board of Transportation Research Part D, Journal of Transport and Land Use, PLOS one, and AIMS Public Health. He published six book chapters through the Springer and Routledge.
- Ph.D. Urban Design and Planning, University of Washington, 2010
- M.S. Engineering (Transportation), University of Washington, 2009
- M.S. GIS and Earth Observation, University of Twente, 2004
- M.E. Architectural Design, Wuhan University, 2004
- B.E. Urban Planning and Design,Wuhan University, 2001
(students co-authors are underlined)
- Jiao, J., &Bai, S.(forthcoming).Cities reshaped by Airbnb: A Case Study in New York City, Chicago, and Los Angeles. Environment and Planning A: Economy and Space.
- France-Mensah, J.,OBrien, W., Kothari, C., Jiao, J.(2019). Integrating Social Equity inHighway Maintenance and Rehabilitation Programming: A Quantitative Approach. Sustainable Cities and Society.
- Wu,H.,Chen,Y.,Jiao,J. (2019).TheImpactofNeighborhoodBuiltEnvironmentsonShoppingTravelModes in Shanghai, China. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation ResearchBoard.
- Yunda, J.,& Jiao, J. (2019). Zoning Changes and Social Diversity in New York City, 1990 – 2015. Journal of Urbanism. https://doi.org/10.1080/17549175.2018.1562488
- Griffin, G., & Jiao, J. (2019). The Geography and Equity of Crowdsourced Public Participation for Active Transportation Planning. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board. https://doi.org/10.1177/0361198118823498.
- Zhao, X., Chen, P., Jiao, J., Chen, X.,, & Bischak, C. (2019). How Does ‘Park and Ride’ Perform? A Longitudinal Evaluation. Journal of Transport Policy. 74:15-23.
- Chen, Z. Zhang, Y.H., Liu, S., & Jiao, J., (2018). Management of Health-Enhancing Recreation Resource in Urban Green Spaces: A Lesson from American Park Rx Program. Journal of Urban and Regional Planning. 10(4): 100-116. (In Chinese).
- Chen, P., Jiao, J., Xu, M., Gao, X.,& Bischak, C. (2018). Promoting Active Student Travel: A Longitudinal Study. Journal of Transport Geography. 70, 265-274.
- Jiao, J. (2018). Investigating Uber Price Surges During a Special Event in Austin, TX. Research in Transportation and Business Management. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rtbm.2018.02.008
- Sun, F., Chen,P., & Jiao, J. (2018). Promoting Public Biking Sharing: A Lesson from the Unsuccessful Pronto System. Transportation Research Part D. 63, 533-547.
- Griffin, G., & Jiao, J. (2018). Crowdsourcing Bike Share Station Locations: Evaluating Participation and Placement. Journal of the American Planning Association. https://doi.org/10.1080/01944363.2018.1476174
- Sun, F., Wang, Z., Gao, X., Jiao, J., & Tao, Z. (2018), Built Environment Effects on Bike Crash Frequency and Risk in Beijing. Journal of Safety Research. 64, 135-143.
- Yu, H. , Jiao, J., Houston, E., & Peng, Z. (2018). Evaluating The Relationship Between Rail Transit and Industrial Agglomeration: An Observation From the Dallas-Fort Worth Region, TX. Journal of Transport Geography. 67. 33-52.
- Chen, P., Ding, C., & Jiao, J. (2018). Non-linear Effects of the Built Environment on Automobile-Involved Pedestrian Crash Frequency: A Machine Learning Approach. Accident Analysis & Prevention. 112, 116-126.
- Wegmann, J., & Jiao, J. (2017). Taming Airbnb: Toward Guiding Principles for Local Regulation of UrbanVacation Rentals Based on Empirical Results from Five US Cities. Land Use Policy. 69, 494-501.
- Jiao, J., Holmes, M., & Griffin, G. (2017). Revisiting Images of the City in Cyberspace: Analysis of Spatial Twitter Messages During a Special Event. Journal of Urban Technology. DOI:10.1080/10630732.2017.1348881.
- Choi, K., Jiao, J., & Zhang, M. (2017). Reducing Vehicle Travel for the Next Generation: Lessons from the 2001 and 2009 National Household Travel Surveys. Journal of Urban Planning and Development. 143(4), 1-9.
- Jiao, J., Chen, Y., & He, N. (2017). Plan Pedestrian Friendly Environments around Subway Stations: Lessons from Shanghai, China. Journal of Urban Design. 22(6), 796-811.
- Jiao, J. (2017). Identifying Transit Deserts in Major Texas Cities Where the Supplies Missed the Demands. Journal of Transport and Land Use. 10(1), 529-540.
- Jiao, J. (2016). Measuring Vulnerable Population’s Healthy and Unhealthy Food Access in Austin, Texas. AIMS Public Health. 3(4), 722-732.
- Jiao, J., Moudon, A.V., & Drewnowski, A. (2016). Does Urban Form Influence Grocery Shopping Frequency? A Study from Seattle, Washington. International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management. 44(9), 903-922.
- Jiao, J., Drewnowski A., Moudon, A.V., Aggarwal, A., Oppert, J.M., Charreire, H., & Chais, B. (2016). The Impact of Area Residential Property Values on Self-Rated Health: A Cross-Sectional Comparative Study of Seattle and Paris. Preventive Medicine Reports. 4, 68-74.
- Radil, S.,& Jiao, J. (2016). Public Participatory GIS and the Geography of Inclusion. The Professional Geographer. 68(2), 202-210.
- Jiao, J., Moudon A.V., Kim, S., Hurvitz, P., & Drewnowski, A. (2015). Health Implications of Adults’ Eating at Versus Living Near Fast Food or Quick Service Restaurants. Nutrition and Diabetes. 5 (e171), 1-6.
- Jiao, J. (2015). Introduction to AIMS Special Issue "Obesity and Food Intake in Vulnerable Populations". AIMS Public Health. 2(1), 161-162.
- Pang, H., & Jiao, J. (2015). Impacts of Beijing Bus Rapid Transit on Pre-Owned Home Values. Journal of Public Transportation.18(2), 34-44.
- Griffin, G., & Jiao, J. (2015). Where does Bicycling for Health Happen? Analyzing Volunteered Geographic Information through Place and Plexus. Journal of Transport & Health. 2(2), 238-247.
- Griffin, G., & Jiao, J. (2015). Crowdsourcing Bicycle Volumes: Exploring the Role of Volunteered Geographic Information and Established Monitoring Methods. URISA Journal 27(1), 57-66.
- Aggarwal, A., Cook, A., Jiao, J., Seguin, R., Moudon, A.V., Hurvitz, P., & Drewnowski, A. (2014). Access to Supermarkets and Fruit and Vegetable Consumption. American Journal of Public Health. 104 (5), 917-923.
- Drewnowski, A., Moudon, A.V., Jiao, J., Aggarwal, A., Charreire, H., & Chaix, B. (2014). Food Shopping Behaviors and Socioeconomic Status (SES) Influence on Obesity Rates in Seattle and in Paris. International Journal of Obesity. 38(2), 306-314.
- Jiao, J., Harbin, J., & Li, Y. (2013). Fast Tracks: A Comparison of High Speed Rail in China, Europe, and the United States. Journal of Transportation Technology, 3(2a), 57-62.
- Jiao, J., & Dillivan, M. (2013). Transit Deserts: The Gap Between Demand and Supply. Journal of Public Transportation. 16(3), 23-39.
- Li, Y., Liu,Y., & Jiao, J. (2013). A GIS-based Suitability Analysis of Xiamen’s Green Space in Parks for Earthquake Disaster Prevention and Refuge. Urban Planning and Design Research, 1(1), 1-8.
- Jiao, J., Moudon, A.V., Ulmer, J., Hurvitz, P., & Drewnowski, A. (2012). How to Identify Food Deserts: Measuring Physical and Economic Access to Supermarkets in King County, WA. American Journal of Public Health, 102 (10), e32-e39.
- Li, Y., Li, M., & Jiao, J. (2012). Land Use Change and Rangeland Sandification Research in an Ecologically Fragile Zone, Taking Shiqu County as an Example. International Journal of Digital Content Technology and its Application, 6 (18): 203-210.
- Jiao, J., Moudon, A.V., & Drewnowski, A. (2011). Grocery Shopping: How Individuals and Built Environments Influence Travel Mode Choice. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2230, 85-95.
- Moudon, A.V., Lin, L., Jiao, J., Hurvitz, P., & Reeves, P. (2011). The Risk of Pedestrian Injury and Fatality in Collisions with Motor Vehicles; A Social Ecological Study of State Routes and City Streets in King County, Washington. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 43(1), 11-24.
- Bing, H., & Jiao, J. (2003). Urban Development Predictions, Cellular Automata Model and Transition Rules. Engineering Journal of Wuhan University, 36 (z2), 379-381 (In Chinese).
- Shang, T., & Jiao, J. (2002). A New Urban Planning Support System based on GIS and 3D Modeling Technologies. Engineering Journal of Wuhan University, 35 (5), 37-39 (In Chinese).
- Jiao, J., & Wegmann, J. (2017). Urban Vacation Rentals and the Housing Market: Boon or Bane in the Millennial City? In Moos et al. (eds), The Millennial City: Trends, Implications, and Prospects for Urban Planning and Policy (pp. 167-179). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Jiao, J., Radil, S., Harbin, J., & Li., Y. (2015). A People’s Atlas of Muncie: Citizen Representations of Urban Space. In Chen et al. (eds.), Building Resilient Cities in China; The Nexus between Planning and Science (pp 109-117). New York, NY: Springer.
- Li, Y., He, L., Jiao, J., & Shen, G. (2015). A Quantitative Study of Housing Price based on a Huff Model and Hedonic Method. In Chen et al. (eds.), Building Resilient Cities in China; The Nexus between Planning and Science (pp 207-221). New York, NY: Springer.
- Jiao, J., Phelps, T., & Li, Y. (2015). Storm Preparedness: A Case Study of Delaware County, Indiana. In Chen et al. (eds.), Building Resilient Cities in China; The Nexus between Planning and Science (pp 235-243). New York, NY: Springer.
- Jiao, J., Moudon, A.V., & Li, Y. (2013). Locations with Frequent Pedestrian-Vehicle Collisions: Their Transportation and Neighborhood Environment Characteristics in Seattle and King County, Washington. In Geertman et al. (eds.), Planning Support Systems for Sustainable Urban Development (Volume 195, pp 281-296). New York, NY: Springer.
- Jiao, J., & Boerboom, L. (2006). Transition Rule Elicitation Methods for Urban Cellular Automata Models. Leeuwen, J. and Timmermans, H. (eds), Innovations in Design & Decision Support Systems in Architetcure and Urban Planning (pp. 53-68). New York, NY: Springer.
Peer Reviewed Conference Proceedings:
- Chen, Y., Jiao, J., Mao, J.,& Wu, H. (2017). Understanding Pedestrians’ Travel Behavior in Large Chinese Cities, A Case Study of Shanghai Central City, Transportation Research Procedia. 25, 2292-2301.
- Jiao, J., & Li, Y. (2012). The Influence of Built Environments on Grocery Shopper’s Destination Choice: A Case Study of Seattle. The 6th International Association for China Planning Conference (IACP) Proceedings (pp. 29-34).2012 IEEE Xplore. DOI: 10.1109/IACP.2012.6342985.
- Li, Y., He, L., & Jiao, J. (2012). A Spatial Analysis of Housing Prices in Chinese Coastal Cities: A Case Study of Xiamen, China. The 6th International Association for China Planning Conference (IACP) Proceedings (pp. 144-148). 2012 IEEE Xplore. DOI: 10.1109/IACP.2012.6342973
- Healthy Community Planning and Design,Urban Form, GIS and Big Data,