Junfeng Jiao is an assistant professor in the Community and Regional Planning program at UTSOA. He received his PhD in Urban Design and Planning from the University of Washington. Before coming to UT-Austin, he has taught at the University of Washington and Ball State University.
His primary interest is built environment and healthy community planning. He wants to understand how people react and reflect the built environments where they live, work, and play. He has investigated how built environments affect people's access to grocery stores , transit facilities, and bicycle infrastructures, and how people reflected urban spaces on Twitter during a Super Bowl week. He also interests in using different techniques to represent and quantify built environment. These techniques include Big Data Analysis, GIS, GPS, 3D Modeling, Social Media, and Statistics.
He has worked on projects funded by the NIH, USDOT, WSDOT, RWJF, and others. These works have been published in journals like American Journal of Public Health, International Journal of Obesity, Accident Analysis & Prevention, Transportation Research Record, and Journal of Public Transportation. He also published four book chapters on urban planning and computer modeling through the Springer Publishing.
- Ph.D. Urban Design and Planning, University of Washington, 2010
- M.S. Civil Engineering (Transportation), University of Washington, 2009
- M.S. Geographic Information Science, University of Twente, 2004
- M.E. Architecture, Wuhan University, 2004
- B.E. Urban Planning,Wuhan University, 2001
- Wegmann, J. Jiao, J. 2017. Online Urban Vacation and Their Effects on Housing Markets and Neighborhoods. Land Use Policy. 69, pp494-501.
- Choi, K. Jiao, J. and Zhang, M. 2017. Next Generation: Lessons from the 2001 and 2009 National Household Travel Surveys. Journal of Urban Planning and Development. 143(4), pp 1-9.
- Jiao, J. Holmes, M. Griffin, G. 2017. Revisiting Image of the City in Cyberspace: Analysis of Spatial Twitter Messages During the 2012 SuperBowl. Journal of Urban Technology. DOI:10.1080/10630732.2017.1348881.
- Jiao, J. Chen, Y. Ning, H. 2017, Plan Pedestrian Friendly Environments around Subway Stations: Lessons from Shanghai, China. Journal of Urban Design. 22(6),pp 796-811.
- Chen, Y. Jiao, J. J. Mao, H. Wu. 2017, Understanding Pedestrians’ Travel Behavior in Large Chinese Cities, A Case Study of Shanghai Central City, Transportation Research Procedia. 25, pp 2292-2301.
- Jiao, J. 2017. Identify Transit Desert in Major Texas Cities Where Demands Missed Supplies. Journal of Transport and Land Use. 10(1), pp 529-540.
- Jiao, J. 2016. Measuring Vulnerable Population’s Healthy and Unhealthy Food Access in Austin, Texas, AIMS Public Health. 3(4), pp.722-732.
- Jiao, J. Moudon, A.V. Drewnowski, A. 2016. Does Urban Form Influence Grocery Shopping Frequency? A Study from Seattle, Washington. International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management. 44(9), pp.903-922.
- Jiao, J. Drewnowski, A. Moudon, A.V. Aggarwal, A. Oppert, J.M. Charreire, H. and Chais, B. 2016. The impact of area residential property values on self-rated health: A cross-sectional comparative study of Seattle and Paris.Preventive Medicine Reports. 4,pp.68-74.
- Radil, S. and Jiao, J. 2016. Public Participatory GIS and the Geography of Inclusion . The Professional Geographer. 68(2),pp 202-210.
- Griffin, G. and Jiao, J. 2015. Crowdsourcing Bicycle Volumes: Exploring the role of volunteered geographic information and established monitoring methods. URISA Journal 27(1), pp.57-66.
- Jiao, J. Moudon, A.V. Kim, S. Hurvitz, P. and Drewnowski, A. 2015. Health Implications of Eating at Versus Living Near Fast Food or Quick Service Restaurants. Nutrition and Diabetes. 5(e171),pp.1-6.
- Griffin, G. and Jiao, J. 2015. Where does Bicycling for Health Happen? Analysing Volunteered Geographic Information through Place and Plexus . Journal of Transport & Health. 2(2), pp.238-247.
- Pang,H. and Jiao, J. 2015. Impacts of Beijing Bus Rapid Transit on Pre-owned Home Values. Journal of Public Transportation. 18(2), pp.34-44.
- Jiao, J. 2015. Introduction to AIMS Special Issue "Obesity and Food Intake in Vulnerable Populations" (Editorial). AIMS Public Health. 2(1), pp. 161-162.
- Aggarwal, A., Cook, A., Jiao, J., Seguin, R., Moudon, A.V., Hurvitz, P. and Drewnowski, A. 2014. Access to supermarkets and fruit and vegetable intake: Is it just a matter of physical proximity. American Journal of PublicHealth. 104 (5), pp. 917-923.
- Drewnowski, A. Moudon, A.V. Jiao, J. Aggarwal, A. Charreire, H. and Chaix, B. 2014. Food shopping behaviors and socioeconomic status (SES) influence obesity rates in Seattle and in Paris. International Journal of Obesity. 38(2), pp. 306-14.
- Jiao, J. Harbin, J. and Li, Y. 2013. Fast Tracks: A comparison of high speed rail in China, Europe, and the United States. Journal of Transportation Technology, 3(2a), pp. 57-62.
- Jiao, J. and Dillivan, M. 2013. Transit deserts: the gap between demand and supply. Journal of Public Transportation. 16(3), pp.23-39.
- Li, Y. Liu,Y. and Jiao, J. 2013. A GIS-based Suitability Analysis of Xiamen’s Green Space in Park for Earthquake Disaster Prevention and Refuge. Urban Planning and Design Research, 1(1), pp.1-8.
- Li, Y. Li, M. and Jiao, J. 2012. Land use change and rangeland sandification research in an ecological fragile zone, taking Shiqu County as an example. International Journal of Digital Content Technology and its Application,6 (18): pp.203-210.
- Jiao, J. Moudon, A.V. Ulmer, J. Hurvitz, P. and Drewnowski, A. 2012. How to identify food deserts: measuring physical and economic access to supermarkets in King County, WA. American Journal of Public Health, 102 (10), pp. e32-e39.
- Jiao, J. Moudon, A.V. and Drewnowski, A. 2011. Grocery shopping: how individuals and built environments influence travel mode choice. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2230, pp. 85-95.
- Moudon, A.V. Lin, L. Jiao, J. Hurvitz, P. and Reeves, P. 2011. The risk of pedestrian injury and fatality in collisions with motor vehicles; a social ecological study of state routes and city streets in King County, Washington. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 43(1), pp. 11-24.
- Bing, H. and Jiao, J. 2003. Urban development predictions, cellular automata model and transition rules. Engineering Journal of Wuhan University, 36 (z2), pp. 379-381.
- Shang, T. and Jiao, J. 2002. A new urban planning support system based on GIS and 3D modeling technologies. Engineering Journal of Wuhan University, 35 (5), pp. 37-39.
- Jiao, J. and Wegmann, J. 2017. Urban Vacation Rentals and the Housing Market: Boon or Bane in the Millennial City? Moos et al. (eds), The Millennial City: Trends, Implications, and Prospects for Urban Planning and Policy, Springer. pp 167-179.
- Jiao, J. Radil, S. Harbin, J., Li, Y. 2015. .A People’s Atlas of Muncie: Citizen Representations of Urban Space. Chen et al. (eds.), Building Resilient Cities in China; The Nexus between Planning and Science, Springer,pp 109-117.
- Li, Y. He, L. Jiao, J. Shen, G. 2015. Quantitative Study of Housing Price based on Huff Model and Hedonic Method. Chen et al. (eds.), Building Resilient Cities in China; The Nexus between Planning and Science, Springer, pp 207-221.
- Philpes, T., Jiao, J. Li,Y. 2015. Storm Preparedness: A Case Study of Delaware County, Indiana. Chen et al. (eds.), Building Resilient Cities in China; The Nexus between Planning and Science, Springer. pp 235-243.
- Jiao, J. Moudon, A.V. and Li, Y. 2013. Locations with Frequent Pedestrian-Vehicle Collisions: Their Transportation and Neighborhood Environment Characteristics in Seattle and King County, Washington. S. Geertman et al. (eds.), Planning Support Systems for Sustainable Urban Development, Springer. Volume 195, pp 281-296.
- Jiao, J. and Boerboom, L. 2006. Transition rule elicitation methods for urban cellular automata models. Leeuwen, J. and Timmermans, H. (eds), Innovations in Design & Decision Support Systems in Architetcure and Urban Planning, Springer, pp. 53-68.
Peer Reviewed Conference Proceedings:
- Jiao, J. and Li, Y. 2012.The influence of built environments on grocery shopper’s destination choice – a case study of Seattle. IEEE Xplore, 2012, pp.29-34.
- Li, Y. He, L. and Jiao, J. 2012. A spatial analysis of housing prices in Chinese coastal cities, a case study of Xiamen, China. IEEE Xplore, 2012, pp. 144-148.
- Healthy Community Planning and Design,Urban Form, GIS and Big Data,