Junfeng Jiao is an associate professor in the Community and Regional Planning program and founding director of Urban Information Lab at UTSOA.
Jiao's research focuses on urban informatics, smart city and shared mobility. He has used different technologies (GIS, GPS, Drone, smart phone, social media, wearable devices, etc.) to quantify cities and understand their impacts on people’s behaviors. He has investigated 311 calls' spatial distribution, Uber's price surge, Airbnb's spatial clustering, People’s perception of cities in cyber space, E-scooters' spatial-temporal pattern, and bike sharing travels. He firstly coined the term of Transit Desert and measured it in all major US cities.
Good Systems--A UT Grand Challange
Jiao is Chair and a founding member of the Good System Executive Team. Good Systems is an eight-year 10-million-dollar grand challenge, that designs AI technologies to benefit society. Jiao and Dr. Xu (TACC) co-lead the Good Systems Smart Cities.
Good Systems Smart Cities brings together researchers, industry professionals, and other stakeholders to support research innovation and investigate how operationalizing technologies will affect our day-to-day life. The Smart Cities Consortium is a space for technologists, policy makers and operators of AI systems to explore design strategies for smart cities.
Jiao leads several Good System projects that relate to health, transportation, and housing. As an urban planner and transportation expert, he recognizes that AI will have a multidimensional impact in smart cities.
Urban Health Risk Mapping uses AI to understand and predict how social economic status, infrastructure, and perceived urban environmental factors will affect people’s physical and mental health. The research team investigated these complicated relationships in 10 major US cities and created an interactive dashboard for the general public.
Feng, Chen, and Junfeng Jiao. “Predicting and Mapping Neighborhood-Scale Health Outcomes: A Machine Learning Approach.” Computers, Environment and Urban Systems 85 (January 2021): 101562. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compenvurbsys.2020.101562.
Jiao also led a research team to explore 1. the impacts of spatial factors on COVID 19 spread in New York City; 2. The intercounty COVID 19 transmission risks in New York State; 3. Socio-demographics and COVID 19 spread in three Texas Regions; and 4. The spatiotemporal patterns of COVID 19 Risks in the US.
Last Mile Autonomous Delivery Systems is a collaboration with researchers from computer science and aerospace engineering to design and develop contactless delivery for the first and last mile delivery tasks. Research teams have successfully tested the system in the Summer and Fall 2020 semesters at UT campus, and even made a delivery to UT president Jay Hartzell’s office.
Austin AI Housing Analysis is an inter- and transdisciplinary team led by Jiao that includes team members from the City of Austin. The research team will draw on housing, transportation and energy consumption data from the last 30 years to make policy recommendations based on past successes and failures.
Smart Cities Bridging Disciplines Program
Junfeng Jiao is the founding Chair for Smart Cities Bridging Disciplines Program in the School of Undergraduate Studies at the University of Texas at Austin. Smart City BDP is one of 16 different interdisciplinary concentrations that will allow UT undergraduate students to earn a certificate upon completion of selected course works. The Smart Cities BDP will help students get a solid understanding of smart city and related theories. It will equip students with skills to advance the development of smart city technologies and prepare students for smart cities-related careers in public, private, and non-profit sectors. At the same time, students will learn about the complex ethical and human dimensions of these changes to our urban environments. The program includes classes from a variety of disciplines, such as urban planning, public policy, computer science, information studies, engineering, liberal arts, communication, and business.
Jiao has worked on projects funded by the NIH, NSF, USDOT, TXDOT, UT Austin, Intel, Google, WSDOT, RWJF, and others. These works have been published in top transportation, urban planning, public health and computer journals. Jiao is the co-chair for The Analytical Methods, Technology, & Society track at the ACSP conference and on the editorial board of Journal of Urban Technology, Journal of Big Data Analytics in Transportation, Transportation Research Part D, Journal of Transport and Land Use, PLOS one, and AIMS Public Health. He published six book chapters through the Springer and Routledge.
Jiao is a recipient for CM2 University Transportation Center Best Equity Project Award, UTSOA Research Excellence Award, UT Provost Experiential Learning Award, and UT President Award for Global Learning. His works were widely reported by the Associated Press, CNN, ABC, Fox, US News, Yahoo, MSN, NBC, NPR, USA today, Finance and Commerce, City Lab, The Conversation, Chicago Tribute, San Francisco Chronicle, LA Times, Seattle Times, Seattle Met, Dallas News, Houston Chronicle, Austin Statesman, Texas Tribune, Wired and many other news outlets.
- Ph.D. Urban Planning, University of Washington
- M.S. Transportation Engineering, University of Washington
- M.S. Geographic Information System, University of Twente
- M.E. Architectural Design, Wuhan University
- B.E. Urban Planning,Wuhan University
(students co-authors are italicized)
- Bai, S, Jiao, J., (accepted). Toward Equitable Micromobility: Lessons from Austin E-scooter Sharing Program. Journal of Planning and Education Research.
- Jiao, J., Bai, S, Choi, S. (2021). Understanding E-scooter Incidents Patterns in Street Network 2 Perspective: A Case Study of Travis County, Texas. Sustainability.
- Jiao, J., Bhat, M., Azimian, A., (2021). The Impact of COVID-19 on Home Value in Major Texas Cities. International Journal of Housing Markets and Analysis.
- Jiao, J., Hansen, K., Azimian, A., (2021). Land Value Impacts of Airbnb Listings on Single-Family Homes in Austin, Texas, USA. International Journal of Housing Markets and Analysis.
- Lee, H, Jiao, J., Choi, S., (2021). Identifying Spatiotemporal Transit Deserts in Seoul, South Korea. Journal of Transport Geography.
- Jiao, J., Azimian, A., (2021).Measuring Accessibility to Grocery Stores Using Radiation Model and Survival Analysis. Journal of Transport Geography.
- Jiao, J., Azimian, A., (2021). Who Are Teleworking During the COVID-19 Pandemic. Transport Findings.
- Jiao, J., Conrad, J., Azimian, A., (2021). Measuring Social Vulnerability in Transit Deserts of United States Metro Areas. International Journal of Geospatial and Environmental Research, 8(1).
- Bai, S., Jiao, J., Chen, Y., Guo, J., (2021). The Relationship Between E-scooter Travels and Daily Leisure Activities in Austin, Texas. Transportation Research Part D.
- Jiao, J., Azimian, A., (2021). Exploring the Factors Affecting Travel Behaviors During the Second Phase of the COVID-19 Pandemic in the United States. Transportation Letters: the International Journal of Transportation Research.
- Jiao, J., Bhat, M., Azimian, A., (2021). Measuring Travel Behavior in Houston, Texas with Mobility Data During the 2020 COVID-19 Outbreak. Transportation Letters: the International Journal of Transportation Research.
- Bai, S., & Jiao, J. (2021). Mining Heterogeneous Impact of Destination Attributes in Travel Demand Forecast for Different Urban Districts: A Deep Learning Approach. Transportation Research Record: Journal of Transportation Research Board.
- Lieberknecht, K., Zoll, D., Jiao, J., Castles, K.,(2021). Hurricane Harvey: Equal opportunity storm or disparate disaster, Local Environment:The International Journal of Justice and Sustainability. https://doi.org/10.1080/13549839.2021.1886063
- Feng, C., & Jiao, J. (2021). Predicting and mapping neighborhood-scale health outcomes: A machine learning approach. Computers, Environment and Urban Systems. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compenvurbsys.2020.101562
- Wu, H., Chen, Y., Zhang, Z., and Jiao, J. (2020). The impact of street characteristics on older pedestrians’ perceived safety in Shanghai, China. Journal of Transport and Land Use. https://doi.org/10.5198/jtlu.2020.1588
- Feng, C., Jiao, J. and Wang, H. (2020).Estimating e-scooter traffic flow using big data to support planning for micromobility. Journal of Urban Technology. https://doi.org/10.1080/10630732.2020.1843384
- Bai, S. & Jiao, J. (2020).From Shared Micro-Mobility to Shared Responsibility: Using Crowdsourcing to Understand Dockless Vehicle Violations in Austin, Texas. Journal of Urban Affairs. https://doi.org/10.1080/07352166.2020.1798244
- Bai, S. & Jiao, J. (2020). Dockless E-scooter Usage Patterns and Urban Built Environments: A Comparison Study of Austin, TX, and Minneapolis, MN. Travel Behavior and Society. 20, 264-272.
- Cai, M., Jiao, J., Liu, Y., and Luo, M., (2020). Identifying Transit Deserts for Low-Income Commuters in Wuhan Metropolitain Area, China. Transportation Research Part D. 82, 1-11.
- Jiao, J. & Wang, F. (2020).Shared Mobility and Transit-dependent Population: A New Equity Opportunity or Issue? International Journal of Sustainable Transportation. https://doi.org/10.1080/15568318.2020.1747578
- Jiao, J., & Bai, S., (2020). Understanding the Shared E-scooter Travels in Austin, TX. ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information. 9(2), 135; https://doi.org/10.3390/ijgi9020135
- Jiao, J. & Cai, M. (2020). Using Open Source Data to Identify Transit Deserts in Four Major Chinese Cities. ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information. 9 (2), 100.
- Jiao, J., Bischak, C., Hyden, S., (2020). The Impact of Shared Mobility on Trip Generation Behavior in the US: Findings from the 2017 National Household Travel Survey. Travel Behaviour and Society. 19, 1-7.
- Jiao, J., & Bai, S., (2020). An Empirical Analysis of Airbnb Listings in Forty Major American Cities, Cities.
- Boeing, G., Wegmann, J., & Jiao, J., (2020). Rental Housing Spot Markets: How Online Information Exchanges Can Supplement Transacted-Rents Data. Journal of Planning and Education Research. https://doi.org/10.1177/0739456X20904435
- Alcorn, L. & Jiao,J., (2019). Bike Sharing Station Usage and the Surrounding Built Environments in Major Texas Cities. Journal of Planning and Education Research. https://doi.org/10.1177/0739456X19862854
- France-Mensah, J., OBrien, W., Kothari, C., Jiao, J.(2019). Integrating Social Equity inHighway Maintenance and Rehabilitation Programming: A Quantitative Approach. Sustainable Cities and Society. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scs.2019.101526
- Wu,H.,Chen,Y.,Jiao,J.(2019).The Impact of Neighborhood Built Environments on Shopping Travel Modes in Shanghai, China. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board. https://doi.org/10.1177/0361198119844969
- Griffin, G., & Jiao, J. (2019). The Geography and Equity of Crowdsourced Public Participation for Active Transportation Planning. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board. https://doi.org/10.1177/0361198118823498.
- Zhao, X., Chen, P., Jiao, J., Chen, X.,, & Bischak, C. (2019). How Does ‘Park and Ride’ Perform? A Longitudinal Evaluation. Journal of Transport Policy. 74:15-23.
- Jiao, J., & Bai, S.(2019).Cities reshaped by Airbnb: A Case Study in New York City, Chicago, and Los Angeles. Environment and Planning A: Economy and Space. https://doi.org/10.1177/0308518X19853275
- Jiao, J., & Bai, S.(2019).Cities reshaped by Airbnb: A Case Study in New York City, Chicago, and Los Angeles. Environment and Planning A: Economy and Space. https://doi.org/10.1177/0308518X19853275
- Xie, B., Jiao, J., An, Z., Zheng, Y., & Li., Z. (2019). Deciphering the stroke–built environment nexus in transitional cities. Cities. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cities.2019.05.035.
- Chen, Z. Zhang, Y.H., Liu, S., & Jiao, J., (2018). Management of Health-Enhancing Recreation Resource in Urban Green Spaces: A Lesson from American Park Rx Program. Journal of Urban and Regional Planning. 10(4): 100-116. (In Chinese).
- Chen, P., Jiao, J., Xu, M., Gao, X.,& Bischak, C. (2018). Promoting Active Student Travel: A Longitudinal Study. Journal of Transport Geography. 70, 265-274.
- Jiao, J. (2018). Investigating Uber Price Surges During a Special Event in Austin, TX. Research in Transportation and Business Management. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rtbm.2018.02.008
- Sun, F., Chen,P., & Jiao, J. (2018). Promoting Public Biking Sharing: A Lesson from the Unsuccessful Pronto System. Transportation Research Part D. 63, 533-547.
- Griffin, G., & Jiao, J. (2018). Crowdsourcing Bike Share Station Locations: Evaluating Participation and Placement. Journal of the American Planning Association. https://doi.org/10.1080/01944363.2018.1476174
- Sun, F., Wang, Z., Gao, X., Jiao, J., & Tao, Z. (2018), Built Environment Effects on Bike Crash Frequency and Risk in Beijing. Journal of Safety Research. 64, 135-143.
- Yu, H. , Jiao, J., Houston, E., & Peng, Z. (2018). Evaluating The Relationship Between Rail Transit and Industrial Agglomeration: An Observation From the Dallas-Fort Worth Region, TX. Journal of Transport Geography. 67. 33-52.
- Chen, P., Ding, C., & Jiao, J. (2018). Non-linear Effects of the Built Environment on Automobile-Involved Pedestrian Crash Frequency: A Machine Learning Approach. Accident Analysis & Prevention. 112, 116-126.
- Choi, K., Jiao, J., & Zhang, M. (2017). Reducing Vehicle Travel for the Next Generation: Lessons from the 2001 and 2009 National Household Travel Surveys. Journal of Urban Planning and Development. 143(4), 1-9.
- Wegmann, J., & Jiao, J. (2017). Taming Airbnb: Toward Guiding Principles for Local Regulation of UrbanVacation Rentals Based on Empirical Results from Five US Cities. Land Use Policy. 69, 494-501.
- Jiao, J., Chen, Y., & He, N. (2017). Plan Pedestrian Friendly Environments around Subway Stations: Lessons from Shanghai, China. Journal of Urban Design. 22(6), 796-811.
- Jiao, J. (2017). Identifying Transit Deserts in Major Texas Cities Where the Supplies Missed the Demands. Journal of Transport and Land Use. 10(1), 529-540.
- Jiao, J., Holmes, M., & Griffin, G. (2017). Revisiting Images of the City in Cyberspace: Analysis of Spatial Twitter Messages During a Special Event. Journal of Urban Technology. DOI:10.1080/10630732.2017.1348881.
- Radil, S.,& Jiao, J. (2016). Public Participatory GIS and the Geography of Inclusion. The Professional Geographer. 68(2), 202-210.
- Jiao, J., Moudon, A.V., & Drewnowski, A. (2016). Does Urban Form Influence Grocery Shopping Frequency? A Study from Seattle, Washington. International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management. 44(9), 903-922.
- Jiao, J., Drewnowski A., Moudon, A.V., Aggarwal, A., Oppert, J.M., Charreire, H., & Chais, B. (2016). The Impact of Area Residential Property Values on Self-Rated Health: A Cross-Sectional Comparative Study of Seattle and Paris. Preventive Medicine Reports. 4, 68-74.
- Jiao, J. (2016). Measuring Vulnerable Population’s Healthy and Unhealthy Food Access in Austin, Texas. AIMS Public Health. 3(4), 722-732.
- Pang, H., & Jiao, J. (2015). Impacts of Beijing Bus Rapid Transit on Pre-Owned Home Values. Journal of Public Transportation.18(2), 34-44.
- Griffin, G., & Jiao, J. (2015). Where does Bicycling for Health Happen? Analyzing Volunteered Geographic Information through Place and Plexus. Journal of Transport & Health. 2(2), 238-247.
- Griffin, G., & Jiao, J. (2015). Crowdsourcing Bicycle Volumes: Exploring the Role of Volunteered Geographic Information and Established Monitoring Methods. URISA Journal 27(1), 57-66.
- Jiao, J., Moudon A.V., Kim, S., Hurvitz, P., & Drewnowski, A. (2015). Health Implications of Adults’ Eating at Versus Living Near Fast Food or Quick Service Restaurants. Nutrition and Diabetes. 5 (e171), 1-6.
- Jiao, J. (2015). Introduction to AIMS Special Issue "Obesity and Food Intake in Vulnerable Populations". AIMS Public Health. 2(1), 161-162.
- Aggarwal, A., Cook, A., Jiao, J., Seguin, R., Moudon, A.V., Hurvitz, P., & Drewnowski, A. (2014). Access to Supermarkets and Fruit and Vegetable Consumption. American Journal of Public Health. 104 (5), 917-923.
- Drewnowski, A., Moudon, A.V., Jiao, J., Aggarwal, A., Charreire, H., & Chaix, B. (2014). Food Shopping Behaviors and Socioeconomic Status (SES) Influence on Obesity Rates in Seattle and in Paris. International Journal of Obesity. 38(2), 306-314.
- Jiao, J., Harbin, J., & Li, Y. (2013). Fast Tracks: A Comparison of High Speed Rail in China, Europe, and the United States. Journal of Transportation Technology, 3(2a), 57-62.
- Jiao, J., & Dillivan, M. (2013). Transit Deserts: The Gap Between Demand and Supply. Journal of Public Transportation. 16(3), 23-39.
- Li, Y., Liu,Y., & Jiao, J. (2013). A GIS-based Suitability Analysis of Xiamen’s Green Space in Parks for Earthquake Disaster Prevention and Refuge. Urban Planning and Design Research, 1(1), 1-8.
- Li, Y., Li, M., & Jiao, J. (2012). Land Use Change and Rangeland Sandification Research in an Ecologically Fragile Zone, Taking Shiqu County as an Example. International Journal of Digital Content Technology and its Application, 6 (18): 203-210.
- Jiao, J., Moudon, A.V., Ulmer, J., Hurvitz, P., & Drewnowski, A. (2012). How to Identify Food Deserts: Measuring Physical and Economic Access to Supermarkets in King County, WA. American Journal of Public Health, 102 (10), e32-e39.
- Jiao, J., Moudon, A.V., & Drewnowski, A. (2011). Grocery Shopping: How Individuals and Built Environments Influence Travel Mode Choice. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2230, 85-95.
- Moudon, A.V., Lin, L., Jiao, J., Hurvitz, P., & Reeves, P. (2011). The Risk of Pedestrian Injury and Fatality in Collisions with Motor Vehicles; A Social Ecological Study of State Routes and City Streets in King County, Washington. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 43(1), 11-24.
- Bing, H., & Jiao, J. (2003). Urban Development Predictions, Cellular Automata Model and Transition Rules. Engineering Journal of Wuhan University, 36 (z2), 379-381 (In Chinese).
- Shang, T., & Jiao, J. (2002). A New Urban Planning Support System based on GIS and 3D Modeling Technologies. Engineering Journal of Wuhan University, 35 (5), 37-39 (In Chinese).
1. Jiao, J., (2021). Shared Mobility, Amsterdam, Netherlands, Elsevier.
- Jiao, J., & Wegmann, J. (2017). Urban Vacation Rentals and the Housing Market: Boon or Bane in the Millennial City? In Moos et al. (eds), The Millennial City: Trends, Implications, and Prospects for Urban Planning and Policy (pp. 167-179). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Jiao, J., Radil, S., Harbin, J., & Li., Y. (2015). A People’s Atlas of Muncie: Citizen Representations of Urban Space. In Chen et al. (eds.), Building Resilient Cities in China; The Nexus between Planning and Science (pp 109-117). New York, NY: Springer.
- Li, Y., He, L., Jiao, J., & Shen, G. (2015). A Quantitative Study of Housing Price based on a Huff Model and Hedonic Method. In Chen et al. (eds.), Building Resilient Cities in China; The Nexus between Planning and Science (pp 207-221). New York, NY: Springer.
- Jiao, J., Phelps, T., & Li, Y. (2015). Storm Preparedness: A Case Study of Delaware County, Indiana. In Chen et al. (eds.), Building Resilient Cities in China; The Nexus between Planning and Science (pp 235-243). New York, NY: Springer.
- Jiao, J., Moudon, A.V., & Li, Y. (2013). Locations with Frequent Pedestrian-Vehicle Collisions: Their Transportation and Neighborhood Environment Characteristics in Seattle and King County, Washington. In Geertman et al. (eds.), Planning Support Systems for Sustainable Urban Development (Volume 195, pp 281-296). New York, NY: Springer.
- Jiao, J., & Boerboom, L. (2006). Transition Rule Elicitation Methods for Urban Cellular Automata Models. Leeuwen, J. and Timmermans, H. (eds), Innovations in Design & Decision Support Systems in Architetcure and Urban Planning (pp. 53-68). New York, NY: Springer.
Peer Reviewed Conference Proceedings:
- Jain, A., Svetlik,M., Machak, N., Sikand, K., Karamanli, C., Zhou, K., Hart, J., Biswas, J., Sentis, L., & Jiao, J. (2021). An Open-Source Framework for Last Mile Delivery with Heterogeneous Robots. AAAI Spring Symposium 2021 Machine Learning for Mobile Robot Navigation in the Wild 10.13140/RG.2.2.32963.94244.
- Chen, Y., Jiao, J., Mao, J.,& Wu, H. (2017). Understanding Pedestrians’ Travel Behavior in Large Chinese Cities, A Case Study of Shanghai Central City, Transportation Research Procedia. 25, 2292-2301.
- Jiao, J., & Li, Y. (2012). The Influence of Built Environments on Grocery Shopper’s Destination Choice: A Case Study of Seattle. The 6th International Association for China Planning Conference (IACP) Proceedings (pp. 29-34).2012 IEEE Xplore. DOI: 10.1109/IACP.2012.6342985.
- Li, Y., He, L., & Jiao, J. (2012). A Spatial Analysis of Housing Prices in Chinese Coastal Cities: A Case Study of Xiamen, China. The 6th International Association for China Planning Conference (IACP) Proceedings (pp. 144-148). 2012 IEEE Xplore. DOI: 10.1109/IACP.2012.6342973
- Urban Informatics, Smart City, Ethical AI/Big Data